Interfacing with producers and writers in the entertainment industry
pgEd is working with writers and producers of the television and movie industry through Hollywood, Health & Society at the USC Annenberg Norman Lear Center, the Science & Entertainment Exchange of the National Academy of Sciences, and Shaftesbury Productions of Canada.
Here are examples of pgEd’s work to bring accurate and engaging information about genetics to a broader audience.
- Grey’s Anatomy, Perception and Elementary (Hollywood, Health & Society)
“The Science Behind Grey’s Anatomy,” by Melissa Malamut, October 2013, Boston Magazine.
“Science on Set,” by Rachel Bernstein, August 2013, Cell.
- Science Speed Dating (The Science & Entertainment Exchange)
New York event recap
Los Angeles event recap
pgEd dedicated a session at GETed 2013 to the topic of entertainment. This session, moderated by Paul Szauter from the University of New Mexico, featured:
- Ann Merchant, Deputy Executive Director for Communications, The National Academies, The Science & Entertainment Exchange
- Tom Chehak, Executive Producer, ReGenesis
- Jay Clayton, Director, Curb Center for Art, Enterprise & Public Policy, Vanderbilt University
pgEd also brought the theme of entertainment to the 2013 GET Conference through a presentation by Sandra de Castro Buffington, then Director of Hollywood, Health & Society.
Photo credit: ABC/Danny Feld