Teacher professional development and workshops
Does your district offer professional development courses and workshops? Are you looking for high-quality, relevant, engaging lesson plans? We offer training courses, ranging from a 1-2 hour workshop to an 18 hour course for which we can offer professional development points or credits. We also offer workshops at state, regional, and national teacher conferences. For more information about scheduling a pgEd professional development session, please email Lauren Tomaselli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our workshops explore examples of the hopes, realities and controversies in personal genetics and make connections to real world opportunities and conundrums your students and their families are likely to face in the coming years. Recent topics include: advances in personal genetics, personalized medicine, low cost genetic testing, fears and realities of genetic discrimination, the intersection of athletics and genetics, crime and DNA, reproductive genetics, genetic information and how to use it, and critical thinking as it applies to assessing genetic risk factors.
pgEd fall PD calendar:
- October 6th – ASHG Annual High School Workshop – Baltimore, Maryland
- October 29th – pgEd Professional Development Workshop – Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- November 3rd – MA Association for Health, PE, Recreation and Dance Conference – Worcester, Massachusetts
- November 5th – Massachusetts Association of Science Teachers annual conference – Boxborough, Massachusetts
- November 12-14th – National Association of Biology Teachers annual conference – booth & workshop – Providence, Rhode Island
To find out where else we are heading next, check out the pgEd calendar.
Annual summer institute
In July, pgEd held an engaging, productive and fun training for over 25 teachers from 11 states. Our annual 3-day Summer Institute allowed teachers to delve deeply into our curriculum, discuss important issues, and share their ideas and experience with one another. pgEd hopes that students and teachers alike will examine how personal genetics impacts all of us, and will continue to explore these issues over the school year (and beyond!). Stay tuned for info on our 2016 summer institute.
Want to learn more about what pgEd has to offer?
Download pgEd’s clickable brochure with information about our resources and trainings. Please help us spread the word by sharing with your friends and colleagues.